Gauri and the foot

                                                     Gauri the grand mother

Gauri was a garhwali women living in faridabad for past twenty years . She was a widow and and was working to support herself. All her children were married off and settled . Culturally hilly areas are little different from plains , women play important role in society . They are pretty independent and often important earning member of familly. Gauri was living in faridabad since her marriage where her husband was working. Gradually her children were married off and she was doing odd jobs to survive.
On august morning she was going to market she her foot was run over by a truck. Luckily no bones were damaged , but whole skin of foot  turned black. She was taken to a local orthopedic hospital run by a prominent orthopedic surgeon , she was shown to a plastic surgeon attached to the hospital. Plastic surgeon suggested cross leg flap , two stages and misery involved delayed the decision. Then the search begins, a neurosurgeon friend of mine suggested my name. I was then  working in central hospital faridabad . I received call and went to to see the pt in a local nursing home in faridabad. She was lying in bed in great misery, her foot was in bandage .I was received by her daughter and son in law, and was directed towards her room .She looked towards me skeptically ,been lying in bed for more than one week and seen by many doctors. I opened dressing and saw the wound , one week of necrotic tissue has given rise to a awful smell. After dressing the wound first I gave them hope and then told them my plan. They agreed immediately and decided to shift the patient to central hospital.

Central hospital was 100 bedded hospital, where I started my microsurgical carrier . I informed OT staff and anaesthesia team . She was diabetic and hypertensive signs of good and abundance. I did two surgeries , first surgery was debridement which entails removing all the dead tissues present. After two days she was taken to operation theater where we performed micosurgical lattismuss dorsi muscle transfer, it went of well. Post operative phase was uneventful.Flap survived and she made rapid recovery . She was discharged from hospital on post operative day seven. She was coming to dressing at regular intervals some area were skin grafted and some area was raw.Slowly raw areas healed except small area, I offered to skin graft it but they refused . It was surprising that after one month ,when I allowed her to ambulate she remain ambulant since then.

She used to at regular interval for review I was surprised that she was ambulant in spite of a small wound she was carrying , slowly her visits decreased I hope she must be doing good






Dr Adhishwar Sharma 8860650846
adhishwar7@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pseudo bursa following abdominoplasty

breast recon and breast reduction

TKR